Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Mystery Lady # 3

Because of my extraordinary resemblance to the Queen, I became involved in the hoax that brought her downfall. I was unaware of the deceitful nature of my adventure. I merely put on a beautiful gown and had my hair dressed, exactly as the Queen had the week before, and waited on the grounds of the palace to say five simple words to a grand gentleman. It was playacting. I was told the Queen would be watching and would be pleased if I did my part well. I lived in a dream that night… I had pleased the Queen! To my horror, a year later I was arrested for playing a part in an elaborate scheme to steal a great diamond necklace, which the jewelers thought they had sold to the Queen. I was sent to prison, but thankfully freed soon after, as I had no knowledge of the true nature of my crime.

Who am I?

7 comments:

  1. I have always thought that this was such an interesting "crime". It was Nicole Leguay d'Oliva I think, there are several people involved in that plot it gets confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good! It is confusing, but Plaidy's book on The Affair of the Diamond Necklace, titled The Queen of Diamonds, explains it really well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one, Arleigh! I knew it was the prostitute who Jeanne de Valois hired to act the part of Queen Marie Antointte and trick the Cardinal de Rohan, but I didn't know her name. Props to Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know her name either. Good pick Arleigh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Plaidy's book she was a shop-girl, though did give her attentions to gentlemen she thought would profit herself. Then, after her stay in prison, she did become a prostitute, as her beauty and finances dwindled.

    ReplyDelete