Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Wordy Wednesday

Here are our words this week. I need help with a couple of them!

cessation (n) temporary or complete stopping

gourmand (n) a person who is fond of good eating

louring (adj) to be dark and threatening

palatable (adj) acceptable or agreeable

equivocation (n) a fallacy caused by the double meaning of a word

panegyrie CAN YOU TRANSLATE THIS ONE, LUCY?

pettishly (adj) petulantly peevish

stultifying (v) to cause to appear foolish

panche ?? Also not in the dictionary.

tocsin (n) a bell used to sound an alarm

2 comments:

  1. ..hmmm, off the top of my head, if I think of 'panayiri' (phonetic spelling and pronunciation)- the word is still used today in modern Greek when referring to a great feast or even a fair. Does that sound plausible and within context? Now I'm curious..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember how it was used, but it came from My Enemy the Queen.

    ReplyDelete